HIIT, or High Intensity Interval Training, is a type of workout that combines short bursts of high-intensity exercise with low to moderate-intensity exercises or moving ‘rest’ periods.
It is commonly understood that a well-rounded exercise routine consists of a combination of aerobic exercise, strength training and adequate rest, and utilizing HIIT training as part of your workouts may certainly be an effective way to achieve optimal health and fitness. Below, we walk you through some of the highlights of HIIT training and what you need to know.
How Can I Benefit from HIIT Training?
HIIT provides a host of benefits that aid you on your journey with weight and health – including, but not limited to:
- Efficiency – HIIT training can be done quickly with little to no equipment.
- Improved Heart Health – The combination of intensities makes it easier to reach the anaerobic zone where your heart is pumping and blood is flowing effectively.
- Caloric Burn – Periods of high intensity followed by some rest keeps your body burning calories for great periods of time – even after your workout!
- Maintain Muscle Mass – HIIT training helps you burn calories, lose weight and lose fat while still maintaining muscle mass.
- Boost Energy – Reaching the anaerobic zone and recovering in between those short bursts of high intensity exercises teaches your body how to effectively use energy.
- Overall Health – HIIT training can improve all aspects of your health, including endurance, blood pressure, muscle sculpting, mental health and more.